2017년 YKAA Camp 리더들은 리더 과제로 6.25 국군 귀환 용사 유영복의 북한 탈출기로, 북가주에 거주하는 한인 2세 Paul Kim이 영어로 번역한 ”Tears of Blood: A Korean POW's Fight for Freedom, Family, and Justice (운명의 두 날)”을 읽고 독후감을 쓰고 번역자에게 묻고 싶은 질문을 받았습니다. 리더 학생들이 보낸 질문을 정리하여 Paul Kim 번역자에게 보냈고 동영상으로 답을 보내왔습니다.
The YKAA camp leaders read “Tears of Blood: A Korean POW's Fight for Freedom, Family, and Justice” translated by Paul Kim and asked these questions to the translator, Mr. Paul Kim.
- Please introduce yourself. What do (did) you study? How did you study Korean language and have enough Korean proficiency to translate the book?
- How did you feel as you learned about Young-Bok Yoo’s and the POW’s escape?
- Why did you choose to translate this particular book?
- What would you do to increase awareness of the South Korean POWs who were never released from North Korea?
- If you were to meet Young-Bok Yoo after translating his book, what would you say to him?
- How do you think that we should approach the problem of separated families in the North and South?
- What can we do as Korean Americans living in the U.S. to be informed and aware of the situation between the North and South?
- Many readers believe that this book should be a part of the reading curriculum in American high schools. Do you agree and how can Yoo’s story benefit the public?
- What do you think you would have done in a POW’s position?